Get to know the Candidates!
My name is Norman Warner III and I humbly ask for your support in my bid for a spot on the Republican ticket for one of three open at large seats on the Owen County Council. The primary will now be held on June 2, 2020. I have lived in Owen County since 1986. I have been married to my wife Lori for 32 years, raised my three sons here, and two of my three grandchildren reside in Owen County. I have worked for Spencer Owen Community Schools for 20 years in the Information Technology Department and the last 10 as the Technology Coordinator for the District. I have worked within my department’s extremely tight budget while still trying to offer the latest technology to support and enhance the educational environment at Spencer Owen Community Schools. I have filed numerous reports with the Indiana Department of Education and have applied for and received grants to help offset the cost of some of our technology as well as Erate grant funding for discounted internet access for the corporation. I have coached in this community since 1987, have been a church board member, a former president of youth football, an IHSAA official, and president of a national breed club. I’m also a property owner, a tax payer, and a driver of our roads. To say the least, I have a vested interest in what happens in Owen County and a heart for serving our community. I have included a few bullet points so that you may know where I stand on a few issues.
- Transparency in the local government. The funds that are being spent are generated by taxes and we should always remember that when making decisions.
- Positive image. We should make the paper for what we have accomplished not the manner in which the meeting was conducted. Open communication and everyone working for a common goal will take us a long way.
- Budget constraints. There is a budget and there is a limit to the budget. We have to work within the budget while still providing for the needs of the county. Raising taxes should always be the last resort and never done without a plan of action in place.
- Input from stakeholders. We should always have our door open to the taxpayers of Owen County. They should be received with open arms and two-way communication.
- Recycling. I have asked our local business men about bringing recycling back and have found that the financial incentives have been removed. This would be a possible financial burden but is worth another look.
- The Jail. We need to determine if we have reached a point of diminishing returns on our current facility. We need to be cognizant of the fact that we have failed inspections and strive not to repeat mistakes made by our neighboring counties.
These are just some of the ideas I would bring to my seat on the County Council. I welcome your input and look forward to open discussions on all topics. I may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, 812-585-7693, or see me on face book @coachnormanwarner.
Approved by The Committee to elect Norman Warner III