now browsing by author
As U.S. citizens our opportunity to vote is a fundamental element of the democracy.
When to Vote Early
Absentee or Early Voting at the Courthouse is available:
- 28 days before elections, Monday – Friday 8 am to 4 pm
- Monday before elections, 8 am to 12 pm noon
- Saturdays, October 26 and November 5, 8 am to 3 pm
When Voting Remember
- I.D. is required
- Voters who intend to cast a straight party ticket are reminded to be sure and select candidates for three at-large seats on the Owen County Council, as changes to the voting system do not make selections in at-large races, when selecting a straight ticket.
- Three questions are also posed to voters on the 2016 General Election ballot, beginning on the first page with a question about an amendment to the Indiana State Constitution, and two questions at the end of the ballot about retaining justices on the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Where to Vote Day of Elections:
New – Open Polling Locations
On November 8, 2016, voters may use any of the following locations to cast their ballots. Election day voting is 6 am to 6 pm.
- Cunot Community & Senior Center, 5530 State Hwy 42 Poland, IN 47868
- Millgrove United Methodist Church, 11151 Millgrove Rd Quincy, IN 47456
- Lighthouse Fellowship Church, 5392 State Hwy 67 Gosport, IN 47433
- Clay Twp Fire Dept., 5663 State Hwy 43 Spencer, IN 47460
- Freedom Community Center, 5552 Freedom Arney Rd Freedom, IN 47431
- Jefferson Baptist Church, 4019 Main St Coal City, IN 47427
- Garrard Chapel Church, 7410 W State Rd 46 Bowling Green, IN 47833
- In Gods Arm (Methodist Church fellowship hall), 95 W Franklin St Spencer, IN 47460
Stop by the Owen County Fair and visit the GOP booth. We will be set up in the Commercial building entrance closest to the Main Arena. We will have items free for the taking as well as nightly drawings for larger prizes, donated to the party.
Fall time means festival time. The Owen County GOP invites you to join us as we represent the Republican party in fall festival parades. Ride a float or walk along as we distribute candy and celebrate our community.
Contact Chairman Tony Voelker at 812.325.0570 or email if you’d like to be a part of the any of these upcoming festival parades.
Gosport Lazy Days Aug 11-13, parade August 13
Coal City Festival Aug 20
Apple Butter Festival Sept 17-18, parade Sept 17
Christmas at the Square Dec 3
Owen County is located in west central Indiana. The first settlers arrived in Owen County in 1816. The county was organized in 1818, and was authorized as a county by the state in 1819.
Owen County was named for Abraham Owen, a member of the Kentucky Militia, who was killed in the Battle of Tippecanoe in 1811.
Owen County has a population of approximately 24,500 people.
The population of Spencer, the county seat, is about 2,700.
The Owen County Courthouse was built in 1911, replacing the original brick structure.